Thursday, March 24, 2016

Do Not Panic.. We Simply Require That You Hand Over To Us Your Goods... Or Your Lives.

Dear family and friends,

I am a pirate. Why can't you accept that?

Elder Christofferson came to Italy last week. He came to our stake the stake of Florence to attend the stake conference. He and his wife talked as well as one of the seventy who is Italian. It was spectacular. Just what I needed. I feel so much better after stake conference. Which also happens after church recently. I've liked those things more just cause I feel so good after words. I took some notes I'll share those.

Faith is good with clear precise actions. Only when we follow the commandments and change our will do we see a change. Open our hearts when we pray. The Spirit accepted your sacrifice. Pray for the stake presidency = blessings. We have a new start every stake conference and general conference. Someone who really repents puts aside his sins. Is willing to be obedient to God. When we go to church / temple we offer a better person a repentant person a humble person, we give that instead of a "sacrifice". We should look inside ourselves and see what we can do. He hoped we felt we were a worthy sacrifice. When we go to the temple or church, we leave our burdens outside, and then when we leave we pick them back up again and they are the same, but we are stronger, we feel we can do it. He talked about fathers. I want to make my father proud. He blessed us with strength, with enough to sustain us and a little extra strength so we can help others. When we pray sometimes God helps us in different ways, but we can trust he will help us in the best way for us. If we remain faithful to him his grace will be enough. Jesus Christ loves you.
Firenze was super cool. We got to see a little bit before we had to take a train back to pesaro. The members didn't have room in their cars to take us. So we took three freccia Rosas. And another good train. It was awesome. My only problem with those is that they don't want you talking too much. It's meant to be quiet. It was an amazing conference.

Maurizio has been doing okayish. We are trying to help him gradually to quit smoking and follow the word of wisdom. He wants to quit A. to save money. B. It's not good for him. To save money is not going to be strong enough. Recently we tried a few things to help him. We helped him buy gum which he was chewing a lot instead of smoking. He went two days without smoking. Part of which was due to the gum and the fact he had no money. But he hasn't done that in a very long time. And then he smoked three cigarettes. We created rules and a goal for him now. The rules. I won't write them word for word. But he's supposed to follow the following. To not go over the goal. And if he wants to he is to call us first. And to call us before doing anything stupid. The goal right now is 2 cigarettes a day and one coffee a day. Which is decently reasonable. When he called us to let us know he had smoked three cigarettes. The first thing he said was that he sinned. He said he didn't call us before because he knew the answer to what we would say. Don't smoke three. If he isn't willing to follow this stuff I'm not sure if we can help him.

We met with a less active lady from Peru. She is about thirty and is very nice. Anziano Reyes and her joke around a lot. She is very small. She was baptized in Peru when she was younger. She was forced to be baptized by the missionaries. Which I guess was a thing in South America a long time ago. Which is not good (don't do that Kyler (btw ciao is spelled ciao. Italian is a very serious language). But she has been coming to church every once in a while here in Italy. She doesn't really have a testimony and has lots of doubts. I was very sure with her when we talked. And she said she thought I was very solid with what I said. She was very nice. We got the best gelato ever after we had talked. Hopefully her testimony will grow and she'll be able to know the truth.

I ran into an Albanian the other day. For those of you who have watched taken. The crazy guys are Albanian. If you know Albanians in makes sense. They are pretty wild. It's awesome. This younger guy twenty-one I think has been here in Italy about a year. He is here with his older brother because his brother has cancer. They are waiting for help so he can have an operation. We were right by the sea and I saw the rocks that are right poking up on the water and I wanted to know how to say that in Italian. So I asked my Albanian friend. He said he didn't know and asked me how to say it in English. I'm still not sure how to say it in English. So it was not a very though through question. Some missionaries asked a while ago. What's a good way to start a conversation with a stranger. The answer. It doesn't matter. What matters is what happens after the conversation starts. But he has seen missionaries in Albania and he has some potential. We got his number and we'll hopefully see him again if anything to help him a bit with English. But more for the spiritual. He's just busy taking care of his brother.

I did a training on chastity. I included the best charity things from the scriptures etc. Charity is super great. As we learn from mother bear.
What is charity?

9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.
10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments. I have given unto them this land, and it is a holy land; and I curse it not save it be for the cause of iniquity; wherefore, I will visit thy brethren according as I have said; and their transgressions will I bring down with sorrow upon their own heads.
11 And after I, Enos, had heard these words, my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord; and I prayed unto him with many long strugglings for my brethren, the Lamanites.
12 And it came to pass that after I had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith.
13 And now behold, this was the desire which I desired of him--that if it should so be, that my people, the Nephites, should fall into transgression, and by any means be destroyed, and the Lamanites should not be destroyed, that the Lord God would preserve a record of my people, the Nephites; even if it so be by the power of his holy arm, that it might be brought forth at some future day unto the Lamanites, that, perhaps, they might be brought unto salvation--
14 For at the present our strugglings were vain in restoring them to the true faith. And they swore in their wrath that, if it were possible, they would destroy our records and us, and also all the traditions of our fathers.
15 Wherefore, I knowing that the Lord God was able to preserve our records, I cried unto him continually, for he had said unto me: Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it.
16 And I had faith, and I did cry unto God that he would preserve the records; and he covenanted with me that he would bring them forth unto the Lamanites in his own due time.
17 And I, Enos, knew it would be according to the covenant which he had made; wherefore my soul did rest.
18 And the Lord said unto me: Thy fathers have also required of me this thing; and it shall be done unto them according to their faith; for their faith was like unto thine

What are some of the biggest things that can be given that are charitable?

33 And again, I remember that thou hast said that thou hast loved the world, even unto the laying down of thy life for the world, that thou mightest take it again to prepare a place for the children of men.
34 And now I know that this love which thou hast had for the children of men is charity; wherefore, except men shall have charity they cannot inherit that place which thou hast prepared in the mansions of thy Father.
35 Wherefore, I know by this thing which thou hast said, that if the Gentiles have not charity, because of our weakness, that thou wilt prove them, and take away their talent, yea, even that which they have received, and give unto them who shall have more abundantly.
36 And it came to pass that I prayed unto the Lord that he would give unto the Gentiles grace, that they might have charity.
37 And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father. (Ether 12)

How do we show charity.?

20 Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must also be charity.
21 And except ye have charity ye can in nowise be saved in the kingdom of God; neither can ye be saved in the kingdom of God if ye have not faith; neither can ye if ye have no hope. (Moroni 10)

44 If so, his faith and hope is vain, for none is acceptable before God, save the meek and lowly in heart; and if a man be meek and lowly in heart, and confesses by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ, he must needs have charity; for if he have not charity he is nothing; wherefore he must needs have charity.
45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail--
47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.
48 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen. (Moroni 7)

28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me--the fountain of all righteousness. (Ether 12)

8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. (1 Peter 4)

2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. (Titus 2)

10 But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience,
11 Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. (2 Timothy 3)

22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart. (2 Timothy 2)

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth. (1 Corinthians 8)

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity. (1 Corinthians 13)

Who can we show charity to? Who is more important?

Charity

The highest, noblest, strongest kind of love, not merely affection; the pure love of Christ. It is never used to denote alms or deeds of benevolence, although it may be a prompting motive (1 Cor. 8:1; 13:1–4, 8; 13; 14:1; Moro. 7:47).

16 Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
17 And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.
18 Behold, ye have called me your king; and if I, whom ye call your king, do labor to serve you, then ought not ye to labor to serve one another?

19 ¶There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead

31 ¶When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal

19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first. (Revelation 2)

For finding. We need to be finding more. We need to use time wisely. With this the time needs to be quality or it also doesn't work.

Treat people like a friend. Try something else. Less time. But I did more finding with some companions. If I'm outside for an hour I'm going to get a lesson in that hour. Quantity and quality of people talked to. For me strada (Street contacting) has worked some but it is really hard if

Have a great week.

We can patch her up, there is hardly a scratch.

I hailo,
Anziano Gridley

No comments:

Post a Comment