Wednesday, December 3, 2014

ThanksGivin

Dear Family and Friends,

In the land of Earth, in the Fires of Satan's domain, the Dark Lord Satan began tempting and destroying the lives of everyone, and into this earth he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One by one, the free lands of Earth fell to the power of Satan, but there were some who resisted. A last alliance of Latter Day Saints (and other good people) and Missionaries marched against the armies of Satan, and on the very slopes of Earth, they fought for the freedom of Earth. (*Spoiler alert* (Satan loses))

ThanksGivin Day -
We had a great lunch and then made sack dinners for dinner. We helped make a little under 400 thousand meals for people in need in Utah. I specifically helped make 3000. 
Elder Bednar talked to us, some things I liked about his talk (notes). Feel the energizing effects of this work. Prayers that are more specific are generally better prayers. Having faith in science is flawed and is just as vague if not worse as faith in other things, granted science helps answer many questions, but not many of the questions that really matter. For me I'll have faith in the Lord and not in the scientist. Many older couples can and serve missions. They can be bad examples as well. The power of being absent from your home is a more powerful testimony than being there (for a season). Faith comes by trails and afflictions hence be careful what you pray for. Agency isn't about being disobedient. A mission is boot camp for life. You are clean if the Holy Ghost is present within you (I'm going to say generally). One side of a wing is the husband, the other is the wife. You need both wings for the plane to fly. (Missionaries are helicopters hence independent ( and I may remain a helicopter for life haha (He didn't talk about helicopters, that's something I came up with).  Being a missionary shouldn't be a chore. When you aren't sure about what to say or do in a lesson etc. Bear your testimony of Joseph Smith and the Restoration. He promised that if you prayed morning and night and read the Book of Mormon every day, you will never fall away. 
They already have the Christmas lights out. I'd rather be home etc to enjoy the time of ThanksGivin, but I have been and am doing good. 
Despite all of my efforts to avoid a movie I did not want to see, (mostly cause I'm stubborn). --They played for us on ThanksGivin Meet the Mormons. I really liked it and I do recommend it.
Stories -

  • The producer of Noosies and The Other Side of Heaven gave a talk along with the actual missionary from the Other Side of Heaven at a BYU Devotional. The producer talked about how, he had an ordinary mission and was an ordinary missionary. He went hiking in the mountains for an over night camping trip several years later with his 10ish year old son and took 2 of his son's friends, he also took their dog. He pitched the tent and he was in the tent with the dog. The tent and he get hit with lightning, the dog dies. The boys are freaking out and praying (they're fine). He feels he's dying and he thinks he should probably pray. Before he does he hears "You were my missionary, ask what you will now." In a few hours he was well and they all hiked down. I got a bit teary eyed. 
  • An Elder offered another Elder, some white shirts because the other missionary was lacking. I was really impressed and going to try to be more like that.
  • One of the Sisters was talking to my collega and he said he kicked his dog if it was needed, and she said "Do you kick your collega to? Is that why he is so quiet and submissive?" I wasn't really listening and it didn't bother me too much, but she felt really bad, so she wanted to do something to make up for it, I told her that it was fine, she got me quitips regardless. I had bunches of em already so I gave them to one of our Language teachers. Was kind of funny. I am pretty quiet and what not here. I have a feeling I'm generally misunderstood. I don't mind and don't care, but for documentation purposes and so ya know, here ya go. Kind of funny though.

Language Teaching - 

  • In Italy you don't say "good luck" that's sarcastic and rude. Instead you say, "In Bocca al Lupa", which means In the mouth of the wolf, you then respond, "Crepi", which means "May you never die". So if you are in a wolfs mouth, may you never die, is what's said, kind of odd and funny.

I like doing laundry on P-days which seems odd but I do. I imagine doing laundry for lots of people makes it not fun though, so thank you mom :). 

I'm doing really good at being patient with others etc, but I think something I'm going to work on in my mission is turning outward when things are going bad etc, instead of being hard hearted and selfish. It's tough if you're doing it right.

I'm leaving Tuesday morning for Italy. I don't know when my next P-day will be, so try to be patient for an email. 
I'm excited and not really worried. The language is coming along great.
I hope ya'll are doing alright, I'm praying for you. 

There may come a day when our shields may be shattered and the wolves devour us, but it is not this day, this day we fight!

With Lots of Love,
Anziano Gridley

No comments:

Post a Comment